Saturday, December 8, 2007

Rough first birthday


Well, not how we had planned Evey's first birthday, for sure.


In the emergency room.


Yeah. We made it 364 days and 22 hours before we made our first emergency room run. Not a bad streak.


Evelyn's temp was pushing 105, and then she threw up what looked like a week's worth of milk. Throw in some trembling and a loss of her normal skin color, and we loaded up the Tucson and hauled ass to the ER at about 11 p.m. Thursday evening.


The ER doctor (Brian something, who was an awesome, awesome doctor and treated Evey like his own child) said that she has a virus and there's nothing we can do other than go back from Tylenol to Ibuprofen to keep her temperature down. We've had a few sleepless nights. She's still sick as I write this, Saturday at lunch. Pobre sita.


Anyway, I made my return to work on Friday (after being out for two days with a stomach virus) and I stopped by Hy-Vee after work to pick up some medicine, etc., for home. I also grabbed a mini-cake for my little girl. We had other plans for a cake, but we've cancelled all birthday plans we had made for the weekend, so Adro's plans for the cake have been shelved for now. Instead, a little $3.99 cake from Hy-Vee. How sad!


As you can see, she's not feeling well in the photo. But we still sang happy birthday. We got a few smiles out of her. Then it was back to bed. And back to taking her temperature every 30, 40 minutes...


(It went from 99 to 104, up and down, all night... I'm getting to the point where I can come pretty close to guessing how hot she is by touching her. Not a skill I wanted to learn.)

Happy birthday Evey... the birthdays will only get better, I'm sure.

2 comments:

tsweeten said...

It will get better. I can remember the first few times Emery got sick. I kept having these horrid visions of the worst possible scenerios. Give Evey a big hug and kiss and tell her that her 'non-biological' aunt Heather and Uncle Travis hope she gets better soon for some real birthday party enjoyment (and so Mommy and Daddy can get some rest)

Commodore Lerve said...

Glad you guys were still able to create a few memories for her 1st birthday that you can talk to her about when she gets older. I'm glad to hear you and the baby are doing better, have a great week!